Stained Glass of St Gregory's Church, Norwich
From outside St Gregory’s church presents a uniform appearance. This is the result of the church being totally rebuilt (apart from the tower) in the 14th century. Of particular note is the height of the building in relation to its length, a feature which gives a particularly dramatic effect once inside the building.
The main body of the church seems to have been built in the late 14th century. This was a time of transition from the flowing lines of the Decorated style to the more severe straight lines of the Perpendicular. Thus the Clerestory windows, presumably built first, are still in the Decorated style, but the Aisle windows, though retaining the pointed arch of the Decorated style, have Perpendicular style tracery. They are known to be by Robert Wodehirst, who also worked on the Cathedral. They pair up with the windows in the north walk of the cloister there, which was finished in 1430. The Cathedral Priory were patrons of St Gregory, and paid for the rebuilding of the chancel. This is a rare instance of being able to name a mason who worked on a parish church.
Most of the stained glass is from the late 19th century and is by J & J King of Norwich although fragments of 15th century glass can be seen in a panel in a North aisle window.
For further information and to view the details of each window click the boxes below. To learn more about the church visit : www.norwichchurches.co.uk