Stained Glass of St Mary Magdalen Church, Mulbarton, Norfolk
A church is mentioned on this site in the Domesday book. The current building is of later date with the west tower and nave being rebuilt by Sir William de Hoo at the end of the 14th century with the Perpendicular chancel being subsequently added. The south porch and north aisle date from a 1875 restoration.
It is an interesting quirk that until the late 18th century Mulbarton had mostly plain glass yet now it contains superb medieval windows. Thus the East window contains delightful 15th century figures of Adam & Eve and “Powers” (from the orders of Angels). It is likely that these figures were made by the same craftsman who made the Passion of Christ panels in St Peter Mancroft (Norwich). Additionally the south chancel contains an assortment of old glass including panels dating from around 1530 which were originally made for the Abbey of Steinfeld in the Eifel region of Germany. For further information and to view the details of each window click the boxes below